Disney Animation Studies

I have been looking recently at the art of Disney studios early Pioneering artists, such as Milt Kahl and John Lounsberry. These artists placed a lot of focus in acting elements like held poses for dramatic effect to give the audience time to take in gags. The oval for eyes in early cartoons (credited to Fred Moor, but most likely taken from cartoons like Felix the Cat) allow for facial expression that is both earnest and has a recognisably disarming cartoonish quality. Artists used wonderful extreme poses to get across clear silhouettes (see sketches of Mickey from Fantasia)

In researching how animators approached early Disney films, I as interested to learn that actors acted out the films in live action to provide clear references, affirming the importance of acting as an animator.

A shot of actors providing live action references for Alice in Wonderland.

I have spent some time studying to art of Milt Kahl; in particular, the facial expressions given to each character. Ideally, some of this stylistic expressionism will enter into my own work the more time I spend studying other artists. (See above for sketch studies)