Story Boarding

I have been spending some time working on learning about effective storyboarding in preparation for my final film.

I have read more about the ‘rule of thirds’, and the importance of keeping eyeline in the top third of the screen where possible. I have noted that this is used not just in animated film, but in live action productions. Whilst I am already reasonably familiar with the importance of camera angles in adjusting sense of power and emotion to the scene, it has been useful to spend more time looking in greater depth how usual trends can be subverted; for instance learning how a higher camera angle can be used to suggest both vulnerability and power depending on how the character is placed, whilst camera angles can also be used to highlight certain objects of significance in a scene.

Going forward, when creating an animatic for my final film, I will aim to draw on knowledge of how to portray dynamics of power and tension using camera angles, and allocating characters to the most appropriate area of the screen. I will also focus on keeping the ‘camera’ within the 180 degree line so as not to disorientate the audience.